A Concept is an instance of some thing in your domain. Concepts are the instance data that you populate your knowledge graph or reference data set with. People, places, organisations, tangibles and intangibles that are of relevance to you, your business, or your projects are all Concepts.
In Data Graphs, a Concept has a schema that defines its type (class), its properties and relationships to other Concepts.
When you create a Dataset you define the types of Concepts you want to populate it with. At this point you get to
- select or re-use Concept types you have already defined
- define new Concept types
- update the properties of an existing Concept type
All Concepts have an id and a label as fundamental properties. As a user you must define whether the ids (the identifiers) of Concepts are manually supplied by you or automatically generated by Data Graphs.
Other properties of a Concept are entirely defined by you.
There are several ways of ingesting and maintaining Concepts in Data Graphs :
- You can import Concepts in bulk into a Dataset using either the CSV import wizard
- You can import Concepts via the Data Graphs API.
- You can manually create and update Concepts using the Data Graphs user interface